Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam encourages Ethiopian students to apply for the VUFP Ethiopia scholarships programme.
Aim of the programme
The VUFP Ethiopia scholarship is for talented, motivated Ethiopian students who need financial support to study at VU Amsterdam.
The VUFP Ethiopia scholarship covers the tuition fees. It does not provide any additional allowance towards study or living cost.
As the grant is not a full scholarship, it may be necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance your studies and stay completely. Students requiring a residence permit in the Netherlands must prove to the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Office) that they have sufficient financial means.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria in order to be considered for VUFP Ethiopia scholarships. Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means the student is not eligible for this scholarship.
Eligible candidates should:
- Apply for the first year of a full-time English-taught Master’s programme at Vrije Universiteit
- Have Ethiopian nationality and are not eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans
- Should not have a degree from an education institution in the Netherlands
- Be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa/residence permit
Duration of the scholarship
- For 1-year Master’s programmes: max 1 year
- For 2-year Master’s programmes: The VUFP Ethiopia scholarship can be granted for a one or two-year Master’s programme. The scholarship will only be extended for the second year of the two-year Master’s programme if 100% of the credits of the first year have been achieved
- Students already enrolled in a two-year Master’s programme who have not been awarded the VUFP scholarship in 2020/2021 are not eligible to apply for the VUFP Ethiopia scholarship 2021/2022
- The scholarship will only be granted to a student once and is explicitly intended for the Master’s programme for which it has been awarded
- Please note that students starting their programme in February are not eligible for the VUFP Ethiopia Scholarships
Combination VUFP Ethiopia with Holland Scholarship Programme
VUFP Ethiopia scholarships can be combined with Holland Scholarship Programme (HSP). With the application for VUFP Ethiopia Scholarship, students automatically apply for the HSP scholarship. The HSP scholarship can be awarded as € 5.000 or € 10.000.
- VU has only a limited number of HSP scholarships. Not every student who is awarded a VUFP scholarship will be offered an HSP scholarship.
- The HSP scholarship can only be awarded for one year, even if the master’s programme is 2 years. This means that you need extra financial means yourself for the 2nd year.
1. Register for an English-taught Master’s programme at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam starting in September 2020
Students register for a Master’s programme in Studielink and after that in the VUnet portal. Here you can find more information on how to apply for one of our English-taught Master’s programmes.
2. Submit VUFPEthiopia application to VU, email the required documents in PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For the VUFP Ethiopia Scholarships programme, 4 documents in PDF format are required:
- Proof that the admission process with Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam has started
- Transcript, GPA and grading scale
- Motivation form (use form)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)