The University of Otago Doctoral Scholarships provides funding to support doctoral students studying at the University of Otago.
The Scholarship is available to both domestic and international students. Applicants for professional doctorates, as well as the PhD, are welcome to apply.
Applicants must usually be:
- seeking to obtain their first doctoral qualification
Selection is based predominantly on academic merit and the applicant’s potential for research.
University of Otago Doctoral Scholarships are awarded by the University Council, on the recommendation of the Senate, to applicants proceeding to a course of supervised doctoral study at this University. These scholarships are normally available only to students seeking to obtain their first doctoral qualification. Applicants may be awarded one University of Otago doctoral scholarship only.
Successful applicants will receive the following benefits:
- Doctor of Philosophy – NZ$27,000 stipend per annum plus a domestic tuition fees waiver for 36 months (excludes student services fee and insurance)
- Professional Doctorates (DClinDent, DMA, DBA, EDd) – NZ$27,000 stipend per annum plus a tuition fee waiver for up to 36 months capped at the domestic rate (excludes student services fee and insurance)
Guaranteed Doctoral Scholarships for high-achieving domestically-trained students
If you are a straight A student (GPA of 8 – ‘A’ grade) or higher, who has completed an Honours or Master’s degree with an appropriate research component from a New Zealand university then you are likely to be guaranteed a University of Otago Doctoral Scholarships.
How to apply
Applications for University of Otago Doctoral Scholarships are made online through the eVision portal and can be made at any time of the year. Once you have applied for admission to your program you will receive an alert in your student portal inviting you to apply for a scholarship.
Invitations to apply for the University of Otago Doctoral Scholarships will be sent out via eVision once admission to the DClinDent program has been confirmed, usually in October of the year of application. A decision regarding the scholarship application will be made in late November or December in the same year. If you are a second year student who has completed the papers year of the DClinDent program please contact the Scholarships Office for details on how to apply.
What are the main University of Otago scholarships available to Doctoral candidates?
- The University of Otago Doctoral Scholarship
- University of Otago Māori Doctoral Scholarship
- University of Otago Pacific Island Doctoral Scholarship
- University of Otago China Scholarship Council Doctoral Scholarship
- University of Otago City of Literature PhD Scholarship
- University of Otago Special Health Research Scholarship
- Alliance Group Postgraduate Scholarship
- Bamforth Postgraduate Scholarship
- Bruggeman Postgraduate Scholarship in Classics
- Dr Sulaiman Daud 125th Jubilee Postgraduate Scholarship
- Fanny Evans Postgraduate Scholarship for Women
- Gilbert M. Tothill Scholarship in Psychological Medicine
- James Park Scholarship In Geology
- Macandrew-Stout Postgraduate Scholarship in Economics
- Postgraduate Tassell Scholarship in Cancer Research
- Senior Smeaton Scholarship
- Waddell Smith Postgraduate Scholarship in Education
- Williamson Medical Research PhD Scholarship