Through the Women Techmakers Scholars Program, formerly the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship Program, Google is furthering Dr. Anita Borg’s vision of creating gender equality in the field of Computer Science by encouraging women to excel in computing and technology and become active leaders and role models in the field.
The program is an academic scholarship, awarded based on academic performance, leadership, and impact on the community of women in tech.
- Women Techmakers Scholars will each receive a cash award for the 2019-2020 academic year
- A group of female undergraduate and graduate students will be chosen from the applicant pool, and Scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of each candidate’s impact on diversity, demonstrated technical skills, leadership and academic accomplishments
- All scholarship recipients will also be invited to attend the annual Women Techmakers Scholars’ Retreat in one of Google’s Asia Pacific offices in 2019
- This retreat will be a great opportunity to connect with fellow scholars, network with Googlers and participate in a number of workshops
Professional development and community outreach opportunities will continue to be offered after the retreat. As a Women Techmakers Scholar, you will join a long term community of scholars program participants designed to provide a forum to share resources, support other women in tech and collaborate on projects to make continued impact.
To be eligible for Scholarships, an applicant must:
- Identify as female
- Currently be enrolled at an accredited university for the 2019-2020 academic year (is a full time student)
- All students graduating in 2020 and beyond are eligible to apply
- Be studying computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related technical field
- Demonstrate a good academic record and strong technical skills (through work done on technical projects and/or participation in coding competitions)
- Exemplify leadership and demonstrate passion for increasing the involvement of women in Computer Science
Applicants of Women Techmakers Scholarship Program are required to submit the following documents with application:
- General background information (includes contact information and information about your current and intended institutions)
- Current resume
- Academic transcripts from your current institution
- Responses to three short answer questions
- Optional – Proof of coding competition participation