Applications are invited for Fully Funded Predoctoral Researcher (Scholarships) in Biomolecular Medicine at the Department of Biomolecular Medicine, Ghent University, Belgium.
A Fully Funded scholarship position is available in the research team on Heritable Thoracic Aortic Diseases (HTAD) at Ghent University, supervised by Prof. Dr. Julie De Backer and Dr. Patrick Sips, for a highly motivated, driven researcher with a strong interest in genetics and cardiovascular disease, and basic knowledge in the use of preclinical models.
Since the advent of the latest DNA sequencing technologies, the clinical implementation of precision medicine for genetic disorders has come within reach. Nevertheless, the availability of relevant functional models to test the effects of newly discovered genetic variants has become a major bottleneck in medical genetics. On the other hand, suitable functional models are necessary for the discovery and validation of new treatment options.
In order to address these issues in the framework of our focus on HTAD, applicant will be engaged in an ongoing preclinical research project. Successful applicant will develop novel zebrafish models using genome editing technology to be able to perform genetic and pharmacologic screening programs. As a complementary model, applicant will also use existing genetically modified mouse models to validate results from the zebrafish screens and to test several new treatment options to alleviate the symptoms of HTAD. The techniques used in the proposed project include CRISPR/Cas-based gene editing, advanced brightfield and fluorescence microscopy, in vivo high-throughput screening, mouse and zebrafish echocardiography, immunohistochemistry, Western blotting, and QPCR.
Successful applicant will receive the following benefits:
- A fully funded 04 years PhD fellowship (applicants will be encouraged to apply for FWO and BOF PhD grants)
- Participation in the rapidly evolving research area of precision medicine for genetic disorders.
- The opportunity to work in a dynamic and interdisciplinary academic top-tier research environment with a strong link to the clinic and a broad range of expertise
- Access to state-of-the-art research facilities
- The opportunity to benefit from the well-established PhD training program of the doctoral school at UGent
To apply for Predoctoral Researcher (Scholarships), an applicant must:
- Obtained a Master of Science in Bioscience Engineering, Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Master of Medicine, Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences, or equivalent degree
- Have a strong interest in genetics and/or cardiovascular research with a drive to learn and adopt a variety of new techniques
- An excellent background in life sciences and experience with basic research is desirable
- Have (or are willing to obtain) a FELASA Category C certificate to work with laboratory animals
- Ambitious, practically skillful, able to work in a team setting, and have strong analytical problem-solving skills (creative, critical, and open-minded)
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills, and are proficient in English
- A basic knowledge of Dutch is desirable but not mandatory
To apply for Fully Funded Predoctoral Researcher (Scholarships) in Biomolecular Medicine, an applicant must submit following documents with application:
- Curriculum Vitae
- A description of research output
- Motivation letter
Applications including documents should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top-ranked applicants will be invited for an interview (either on-site or via Skype) during the first two weeks of September.