Biophysical studies at the interface with artificial lipid membranes
Applications are invited from International and Dutch students for Fully funded paid PhD Scholarships position in Physics at The Faculty of Applied Sciences, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands.
The Aubin-Tam group is looking for a highly motivated PhD applicant to work on a completely novel experimental platform that interfaces free-standing lipid membranes with optical tweezers inside a microfluidic device.
Cell lipid membranes are the site of vital biological processes, such as motility, trafficking and sensing, many of which involve mechanical forces. A large number of these processes depend on unequal conditions on each side of the membrane, e.g., protonmotive force. To understand how such diverse and vital processes are influenced by mechanical forces, it is essential to use force measurement tools that can track the dynamic response of membrane processes. The PhD scholar will use and develop such tools to study the biophysics of lipid bilayers and the activity of proteins interacting with lipid membrane, such as a bacterial contractile nanomachine.
Successful applicants will receive the following benefits:
- monthly salary from 2325 – 2972 euros
- a discount for health insurance and sport membership
- an International Children’s Centre offers childcare and an international primary school
To be eligible for Scholarships position, an applicant must:
- have a Master in either Applied Physics, Physics, Engineering, Biophysics, or a related field
- motivated by a deep scientific curiosity
- have excellent experimental and quantitative skills and possess a drive to learn and to develop new methods and concepts
To apply for PhD Scholarships position in Physics, applicants must submit the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of motivation/application
- Names of references
To apply for this position, please send all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The applications will be reviewed as soon as they are received, therefore it is preferable to submit your application as soon as it is ready.