Applications are invited from International students for Fully funded paid PhD Scholarships position in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering at The Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands.
The theme of this PhD position will be the design of systems that optimize/maximize reaction rates and selectivities at high current density operation. While we know how to use materials properties (composition, electronic structure, morphology) to change reaction rates/selectivities, we need to find operational knobs to turn as well.
Goal: This PhD will develop a reactor system to match with our existing materials expertise to understand and control all aspects of a high-current density electrochemical device.
This position is part of e-Refinery. Electrosynthesis is a promising approach to electrify the manufacturing of fuels, chemicals and materials and to contribute to large-scale energy storage. Given the Dutch strategic position in the international chemical, renewable energy and transport sectors, the e-Refinery programme at TU Delft aims to develop systems to convert electricity into molecular bonds, by bundling and leveraging its activities in the associated research and education fields. The Delft e-Refinery program covers and connects all system layers, from the molecular scale to the industrial system scale. It involves faculty members at four faculties and a multitude of PhD scholars and postdocs. The e-Refinery program features a diverse and up-to-date research infrastructure across campus, with electrochemical labs, material labs, equipment and devices labs, power labs and a system simulation suite. TOeLS: Towards Large-Scale electro-conversion systems, is one major project within e-Refinery. The TOeLS project is co-funded by Shell and the Topsectors Chemistry, HTSM and Energy (Urban Energy and Biobased Economy). TOeLS comprises 01 full professor position, 02 tenure track positions and 09 PhD positions. For all these positions we count on an active participation in project-transcending activities within TOeLS and the e-Refinery community to accelerate innovations across scales and across disciplines.
Successful candidates will receive the following benefits:
- Monthly salary from 2325 – 2972 euros
- discount for health insurance and sport memberships
- International Children’s Centre offers childcare and an international primary school
To be eligible for the Scholarships position, an applicant must:
- have a recently completed Master degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering, preferably with a focus on Reactor Engineering and/or Electrochemistry
- have excellent academic qualifications and a strong motivation to create the electrochemical reactors of a future chemical industry
- Strong experimental as well as communicative skills and a pioneering mentality are essential for this project
To apply for PhD Scholarships position in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering, an applicant must submit the following documents:
- Motivation letter (a one-page)
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Contact details of at least two references (name and e-mail)