Applications are invited for Fully Funded PhD scholarships in Robust train trajectory optimization at The Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences (CEG), Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands.
This PhD project is part of a research collaboration between Delft University Technology and the Netherlands Railways (NS).
The growing railway transport demand requires new methods for on-time and energy-efficient train running to increase railway performance. In particular, train trajectory planning is becoming an essential component in the planning and control of trains. The train trajectory optimization problem aims at computing optimal speed trajectories as function of distance to achieve comfortable, energy-efficient and punctual train driving. Train trajectory optimization is used in Driver Advisory Systems (DAS) and Automatic Train Operation (ATO) for different Grades of Automation (GoA).
The main objective of this PhD Scholarships position is to develop models and methods to compute robust train trajectories that optimize on-time running and energy efficiency in the presence of daily stochastic variations and uncertainty of input parameters. You will analyse train data, investigate the impact of parameter variations on the volatility of computed trajectories, and develop algorithms for real-time robust trajectory generation that can be used in a DAS and ATO, incorporating also dynamic information about preceding trains.
The duration of the PhD Scholarships position will be for four years (48 months). As a PhD you will enrol in the CEG Graduate School and have as well the opportunity to join the TRAIL Research School. Both platforms provide a stimulating research environment and ample support during your PhD.
Successful applicants will receive the following benefits:
- A monthly salary of 2325 – 2972 Euros (full-time basis)
- A discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution
- An International Children’s Centre offers childcare and an international primary school
To be eligible for Scholarships position, an applicant must:
- Have an MSc in Railway Transport, Applied Mathematics, and/or related fields
- A focus on (optimal) control or optimization, and an interest in railways
- Excellent proficiency in English language l is required while mastering Dutch is an advantage
To apply for PhD Scholarships in Robust Train Trajectory Optimization, an applicant must submit following documents with application:
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae
- An abstract of your MSc thesis (one-page, in English)
To apply, please e-mail your letter of application with documents in a single PDF file, exclusively to: Recruitment-CiTG@tudelft.nl. Applications to other addresses will not be taken into account.