Applications are invited for 02 Fully Funded PhD Scholarships in Conversational Search Engines from highly-motivated PhD Scholars at The Faculty of Science, Informatics Institute, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands.
The Faculty of Science, Informatics Institute, University of Amsterdam offers two Fully Funded PhD Scholarships to highly-motivated PhD Scholars in Conversational Search Engines with a handsome salary of €2,325 to €2,972 gross per month.
NWO VIDI grant, funds the three scholarship positions (2 PhD students and 1 Postdoctoral), received by Prof. Evangelos Kanoulas, to conduct research on Conversational Search Engines. The successful applicants will be members of the Human-Machine Intelligent Lab (HuMIL), led by Prof. Kanoulas, which is part of the Information Language Processing Systems (ILPS) group, led by Prof. De Rijke.
In today’s life, searching for information in digital repositories plays a central role . With the amount of available data growing rapidly, we rely on search engines, intelligent agents to provide relevant information. The proposed PhD project on Conversational Search Engines aims to design algorithms that learn models of relevance with the help of human interaction, by coupling human input and machines during the learning process, as well as to design methods and build datasets that can be used to evaluate the quality of the proposed models and algorithms, and demonstrate their societal value to fields such as Law, and Medicine.
Research at ILPS is focused on technology that connects people to information: search engines, recommender systems, and conversational agents. The group is organized in four labs (AI for Retail Lab, Human-Machine Intelligence Lab, Information Retrieval Lab, and Language Technology Lab). ILPS is composed by 6 professors and around 30 PhD candidates.
Applicants are required to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Master degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Physics or related field
- Working knowledge in programming skills (e.g. R, Python, C/C++)
- Solid mathematics foundations, especially statistics, calculus and linear algebra
- Proficiency in English (oral and written communication skills)
- Proven experience with Machine Learning/Natural Language Processing/Information Retrieval will be an advantage
Applicants are required to submit the following documents with application:
- Curriculum Vitae
- MotivationLetter explaining the reason for applying to this position
- Research statement explaining your research interests
- All university courses taken, transcript of grades
- Two or three referees (name and contact details; email), one of whom should be the main supervisor of Master thesis