The Biomimetic Innovation Centre at the Hochschule Bremen is looking for an outstanding PhD applicant to conduct a highly interdisciplinary research project at the interface of Biology, Biomechanics and Engineering.
Research within the proposed PhD project will focus on the biomechanical and morphological analysis of skeletal structures with an initial emphasis on arthropod exoskeletons and echinoderm endoskeletons. One of the main goals of the project is the analysis, development and construction of bio-inspired joint structures for aerospace applications. The successful PhD scholar will work closely together with Prof. Dr. Dirks (Biological Structures and Biomimetics) and Prof. Dr. Labisch (Biomechanics and Design). Parts of the project are in close collaboration with industrial partners, allowing the student to gain valuable first-hand experience in industrial research collaboration.
To be eligible for PhD scholarship, an applicant must:
- Have a Master’s degree (or be close to completion) in either Organismal Biology, Biomechanics, Engineering or Materials Sciences
- Experience in morphological characterization techniques (microCT, SEM, etc.), construction of custom-made experimental setups and mechanical materials testing is very helpful yet not required
- The willingness to gain additional experience in in computational techniques (CAD, FEA and MBD) will be advantageous
- A language proficiency level of at least B2 in either English or German is expected, basic knowledge of German will be helpful
To apply for Fully Funded PhD Scholarship Position in Biomimetics, an applicant must submit following documents with application:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Transcripts, Reports, certificates
- Letter of Motivation
- Contact details of two references
Applicants are required to send application (including CV, letter of motivation, contact details of two references) to email@example.com.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.