Applications are invited for a Fully Funded PhD Scholarship in Biochemistry and Biophysics at the Department of Chemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Gothenburg, Sweden.
www.scholarshipnjob.com (SNJ) is a web forum that aims at bringing Scholarships and Jobs available with the in to strengthen your skills by providing an opportunity to compete and become a future leader. These Scholarships and Jobs will help people’s efforts in developing networks, exchange cultural and scientific ideas and prepare themselves for the future. We will share any Scholarships, training, Fellowships, short courses, available, to follow your dream of studying in the world’s best institutions. We will keep you updated of any job positions within public sector and private sector thus providing a forum to explore working opportunities.
After getting this scholarship “PhD Scholarship in Biochemistry and Biophysics – Sweden” the PhD applicant will be part of the research group of Professor Richard Neutze and will work in close collaboration with that of Dr. Gisela Brändén. The groups use a range of biochemical and biophysical methods to study the structure, function and dynamics of membrane proteins. A special focus is on new methods within structural biology that utilize X-rays from synchrotrons and X-ray free electron lasers to track structural changes in proteins with time.The proposed PhD project will mainly focus upon protein production, purification and crystallization of a light gated ion channel: channelrhodopsin.
The successful PhD scholar will use microcrystals of this membrane protein in advanced structural biological experiments at various x-ray facilities around the world including synchrotrons and X-ray lasers. A key scientific goal is to use time-resolved X-ray diffraction techniques to visualize structural movements in a light gated ion channel after absorption of light. All experimental work as well as data analysis will take place in close cooperation with the rest of the research group.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicant must:
- have a Masters degree in a relevant subject area in the natural sciences to obtain PhD Scholarship in Biochemistry and Biophysics – Sweden
- proficiency in English language (spoken and written); a minimum score of 550 on the TOEFL test (or 213 on the TOEFL-CBT, or 79 on the TOEFL-iBT)
- be at ease collaborating with other scientists within a larger team and to possess high quality communication skills
- be independent, shows enthusiasm for research, has a willingness to learn new skills
- Experience in biochemistry/biophysics is an advantage
Applicants are required to submit the following documents with application:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter explaining why you want to apply for the position
- Any scientific publications
- Details of two referees (name, telephone no, relation)