Applications are invited for Fully funded Scholarships (PhD Position) in Architecture with focus on Sustainable Living Environments at the Department of Architecture and Built Environment, Lund University, Sweden.
The Department’s research topics with relevance for Agenda 2030 concern, for example, life in public spaces; spaces for rituals and cultural expressions; sustainable storm water management; the territories of consumption; digital design methods; reuse of buildings and environments; outdoor lighting and other environmental factors that support physically active transportation; human experience of biodiversity and cultural ecosystem services; solar energy production in urban environments; daylight in urban densification; user influence in post-disaster reconstruction; housing community for integration; urban design and microclimate etc.
One of the Agenda 2030 goals is Sustainable cities and communities. Due to the current pace of urbanization, the majority of the world’s population come of age, work and live in cities, which means that urban areas are becoming ubiquitous arenas for everyday life. Global dilemmas in terms of population growth and urbanization, climate change and its effects, social injustice, and segregation are tangible examples of complex issues that are most evident in densely populated areas.
The design of the physical environment is key to the generative aspects of sustainable urban development. Strategies and policies at different levels emphasize the importance of carefully designed spaces for urban life and work. Environmental factors encompasses a crucial role in people’s well-being. Additionally, the design of environments in urban as well as rural contexts is crucial for ecologically sustainable development, biodiversity, and adaptation to climate change.
Successful applicants will receive the following benefits:
- The successful applicants will be employed as a Doctoral student
- The doctoral program is four years of full-time study
- In the case of teaching and other institutional duties, the length of the position will be extended correspondingly, however no longer than 5 years (ie max. 20%)
To be eligible for Scholarships position, an applicant must:
- Master’s degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture or Urban Planning, or similar field completed nationally or internationally
- has been awarded a second-cycle qualification, OR
- has satisfied the requirements for courses comprising at least 240 credits of which at least 60 credits were awarded in the second cycle, OR
- has acquired substantially equivalent knowledge in some other way in Sweden or abroad
- Proficiency in English language (speak and written)
- Good knowledge in Swedish, in speech and writing
To apply for Fully Funded Scholarships (PhD Position) in Architecture, an applicant must submit the following documents with application:
- Introductory letter that motivates your interest in the position
- A project description with a tentative research question and a plan describing your intended doctoral project. Describe how your project links to Agenda 2030 and sustainable living environments and how it matches your interests and educational background.
- A Curriculum Vitae, diploma or the equivalent, as well as other information that you wish to put forth (certificates, name of references with contact information, letter of recommendation, etc.)