This scholarship was established by the Chinese Scholarship Council and the University of Melbourne to promote international collaboration and is awarded to citizens of the People’s Republic of China wishing to undertake a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree at the University of Melbourne.
Successful applicants will receive the following benefits:
The University of Melbourne will provide:
- a full tuition fee scholarship for a PhD for up to four years
- a supplementary living allowance of around $10,200 per year (2019 full-time pro rata rate) for up to four years
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) will provide:
- a living allowance of approximately $20,400 per year (2018 rate) including Overseas Student Health Cover
- a return airfare between China and Melbourne by the most economical route
- visa application fees
To be eligible for PhD Scholarships, an applicant must:
- Be a citizen of the People’s Republic of China
- Have received an offer for a place in a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) course at the University of Melbourne. This requires completion of at least a four-year undergraduate degree, with the equivalent of a minimum overall average grade of H2A (or 75%) achieved at the University of Melbourne with a significant research component
- Meet minimum English language requirements
There is a two-stage application process to apply for China Scholarship Council – 45 PhD Scholarships, Australia:
Stage 1: Applying to the University of Melbourne for entry to the PhD.
Submit an online application for the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) course you wish to apply for by the closing date. Under the Financial Support Requirement of the application, indicate that you have applied for, or plan to apply for, a Chinese Scholarship Council scholarship.
Once you have submitted your PhD application, you will automatically be considered for the CSC – University of Melbourne PhD Scholarship.
Stage 2: Applying to the CSC for the living allowance scholarship.
If you receive an offer of a PhD place from the University and also an offer of a tuition fee scholarship from the University as part of the China Scholarship Council – University of Melbourne PhD Scholarship, you will need to apply separately to the CSC for the living allowance benefit of the scholarship as follows:
- Seek approval to submit a scholarship application to the CSC from either your university in China, or from the nearest Consulate of the People’s Republic of China if you are currently living outside the Chinese mainland
- Apply directly to the CSC for a living allowance scholarship to support you while undertaking the PhD at the University of Melbourne. You should follow the CSC guidelines and apply online for the living allowance scholarship through the Agreements Channel. The CSC application period opens on 10 March 2020 and closes on 31 March 2020
- The University’s PhD place offer and the tuition fee scholarship offer will need to be included with the CSC application. For further information, visit the CSC website.