RTP Scholarships are funded by the Commonwealth Government to provide support to students enrolled in a Higher Degree by Research at an Australian University.
It is the principal program of the Commonwealth Government for supporting promising researchers, with Awards available in all fields of study. The program is administered by the Australian Univand the Commonwealth Department of Education. The University pays award holders all entitlements under the award.
The main objectives of the Research Training Program (RTP) are to:
- provide flexible funding arrangements to support the training of domestic candidates and overseas candidates undertaking Higher Degrees by Research at Australian Higher Education Providers
- deliver graduates with the skills required to build careers in academia and other sectors of the labour market
- support collaboration between Higher Education Providers and industry and other research end-users
- support overseas candidates undertaking Higher Degrees by Research at Australian Higher Education Providers
The support offered at the University may consist of one or more of the following components:
RTP Stipend (formerly Australian Postgraduate Award)
Awarded competitively to students of exceptional research potential to assist with living costs while undertaking a Higher Degree by Research.
Successful applicants will receive the following benefits:
- Annual stipend of AUD $27,596 (2019 rate). This rate is indexed annually
Standard Duration of Award
- PhD: 3.5 years with no extension available. It is important to be aware that the duration of the scholarship is less than the maximum length of candidature which is 04 years
- Masters: 02 years with no extension available
To be eligible for Research Training Program, an applicant must:
- be either a domestic applicant or an overseas candidate enrolled in an accredited Higher Degree by Research at the University
- not be receiving income from another source to support the candidate’s general living costs while undertaking their Higher Degree by Research
- not be receiving an equivalent award or scholarship from the Commonwealth Government designed to offset tuition fees for their Higher Degree by Research
- have a proposed project in an area identified by the University as one of research strength
- have not already completed a Doctoral degree or equivalent
- have not already completed a Master of Research degree or equivalent unless intending to undertake a Doctoral degree
- have not previously held an Australian Government or University-funded Postgraduate Research Award for more than six months
Universities are responsible for the application and selection processes for RTP Scholarships, so you will need to contact your chosen university’s postgraduate research office directly to discuss how to apply.