Applications are inited for 06 Fully Funded PhD Scholarships positions in the field of North American Studies at Graduate School of North American Studies (GSNAS), John F. Kennedy Institute, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany.
The Graduate School of North American at the John F. Kennedy-Institute of Freie Universität Berlin invites applications for06 three years fully funded doctoral Scholarships as well as additional doctoral memberships for applicantss with third-party funding.
Doctoral grants are awarded by the DAAD-GSSP Graduate School Scholarship Program (GSSP) as well as Freie Universität Berlin.
Doctoral memberships are available for applicants who have already successfully applied for third-party funding by a funding agency (e.g. foundation) as part of a competitive application process. The aim of the third-party funding must be related to the financial support of academic research. The funding period should not be less than 36 months. Please note that we do not offer the possibility of a self-funded dissertation.
In its academic framework, the Graduate School is dedicated to a comprehensive interdisciplinary analysis of North American societies from the early modern era to the present. Between 2019 and 2024, the School’s Research Focus will be on changing notions of “democracy” in North America.
The curriculum is taught by faculty members from all six departments of the John F. Kennedy Institute (Cultural Studies, Economics, History, Literary Studies, Political Science and Sociology).
To apply for 06 PhD Scholarships positions in North American Studies, applicants are required to submit following documents with application:
- Curriculum Vitae (in English)
- A Statement of Purpose of approx. 02 pages (in English)
- Copies of Earned Degrees / Diplomas / Graduation Certificates (High School, BA, MA, etc.)
- An Outline of the Dissertation Project of 08-10 pages (in English)
- A work plan/timeline (in English)
- A Writing Sample based on a chapter of the MA thesis or an already published journal article (in English or German)
- Proof of English Language Proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, CAS, CPE)