ECMWF is both a research institute and a 24/7 operational service, producing and disseminating numerical weather predictions to its Member States. ECMWF carries out scientific and technical research directed to the improvement of its forecasts, collects and processes large amounts of observations, and manages a long-term archive of meteorological data. Satellite and in situ observations provide the information for up-to-date global analyses and climate reanalyses of the atmosphere, ocean and land surface.
- Contributing to the development of operational systems for environmental forecast applications, taking into consideration user requirements and operational constraints
- Ensuring all developments are compatible with operations and have appropriate levels of optimisation and reliability
- Monitoring the progress and performance of the suites and solving problems as they arise, using operational tools, procedures and internal expertise; this can include on-call support out of office hours
- Supporting the team in other tasks related to the operational production systems
- Contributing to documentation and training of users of the test and production suites for the environmental forecast applications
- University degree in computer science or in an equivalent discipline.
- Experience dealing with complex computational systems in an operational environment an advantage.
- Extensive experience of UNIX and/or Linux environment.
- Advanced knowledge of programming with scripting languages, such as Shell or Python on UNIX systems.
- Some knowledge of meteorology would be desirable.
- Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and interviews will be conducted in English.
- A good knowledge of one of the Centre’s other working languages (French or German) would be an advantage.