The Institute of Molecular and Clinical Ophthalmology Basel (IOB) is seeking a highly qualified Computational Scientist/ Bioinformatician with emphasis in the area of Single-cell Genomics.
The computational biologist will apply her/his computational and mathematical skills to solving cutting-edge problems in big-data single cell genomics that will have a wide impact on science and clinical practice, focusing on retinal biology and retinal disease.
IOB is a research institute combining basic and clinical research. Its mission is to drive innovations in understanding vision and its diseases and develop new therapies for vision loss. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your abilities challenged, and your knowledge expanded.
- Develop new algorithms and approaches to single-cell sequencing
- Involvement in the implementation and optimization of successful algorithms, both for the internal pipeline and for use by the broader community
- Contribute to best practices for data extraction, integration and analysis; design, utilize and improve computational tools to respond timely and adequately to generic and specific requests from ongoing projects
- Contribute to project progression and decision making through quantitative analyses; ensure timely delivery of project related analyses
- Enable knowledge-spread and cross-training within IOB
- Prepare written reports and presentations for internal use and publication
- PhD in a quantitative subject supplemented with experience in biology or PhD in molecular biology or related fields supplemented with extensive quantitative training
- Excellent data analysis skills with associated expertise in R or python and Unix/Linux
- Deep knowledge of sequencing technologies
- Hands-on experience in analysing and interpreting transcriptomics and other NGS data (qPCR, arrays, RNAseq, single cell technologies)
- Working knowledge of standard bioinformatics resources and databases
- Basic knowledge of data storage and access technologies including SQL is required
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills