Applications are invited for 250 Fully Funded Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) 2021/22 at Hong Kong’s universities.
Established by the Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong in 2009, the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) aims at attracting the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong’s universities.
Successful applicants will receive the following benefits:
- The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$319,200 (approximately US$40,000)
- A conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,300 (approximately US$1,700) per year for each awardee for a period up to three years
- For awardees who need more than three years to complete the PhD degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
To be eligible for Hong Kong PhD Fellowship, an applicant must:
- Be seeking admission as new full time PhD students in the eligible eight universities, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply
- Demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability / potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities
An initial application is the first step in making an application under the HKPFS. The initial application must be submitted through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFS Electronic System – Initial Application). The system will assign an HKPFS Reference Number which an applicant needs to quote in their application for admission to their selected universities.
While applicants’ academic excellence is of primary consideration, the Selection Panels will take into account factors as follows:
- Academic excellence
- Research ability and potential
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Leadership abilities
Applicants may choose up to two programs / departments at one or two universities for PhD study under HKPFS 2021/21. They should comply with the admission requirements of their selected universities and programs.
As the deadlines for applications to some of the universities may immediately follow that of the Initial Application, applicants should submit initial applications as early as possible to ensure that they have sufficient time to submit applications to universities.