Applications are invited for paid Postdoctoral Fellow / Research Fellow in Astronomy and Astrophysics at the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics, Australian National University (ANU), Australia.
The ANU College of Science (CoS) comprises: the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics, the Research School of Biology, the Research School of Chemistry, the Research School of Earth Science, the Fenner School of Environment and Society, the Mathematical Sciences Institute, the Research School of Physics, and the Centre for the Public Awareness of Science. Staff and students within the ANU College of Science conduct research and delivers a research-led education program that encompasses the entire breadth of the sciences, supported by extensive international networks and by world-class facilities. The College has a strong tradition of research excellence that has fostered distinguished Nobel Laureates and Kyoto Prize winners and that trains scientific leaders in disciplines in which the ANU is consistently ranked in the top twenty in the world.
The Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics is a leading centre of astronomical instrumentation research in Australia. It is part of Australian Astronomical Optics (AAO), has successfully delivered world-class instruments for the Gemini telescope, and is currently designing instruments for world leading telescopes such as ESO’s Very Large Telescope and the Giant Magellan Telescope.
The Postdoctoral Fellow is expected to undertake work in all three areas of academic activity –research, education and service (including outreach). The allocation of time to each area will be discussed with the position supervisor annually and be reflective of the appointees research agenda, school and interdisciplinary teaching requirements and leadership opportunities within the School environment. The Postdoctoral Fellow may also be required to supervise or assist in the supervision of students, and contribute cooperatively to the overall intellectual life of the School, College and University.
Successful applicant will receive the following benefits:
- Annual salary of 73,309 – 113,165 AUD plus 17% superannuation
- Term: Full time, Fixed term (2 years)
To be eligible for Postdoctoral Fellow, an applicant must:
- A PhD (or awarding of a PhD within six months of appointment commencement) in Photonics or Astronomical Optical Instrumentation, or equivalent qualifications and experience in a related area, with a track record of independent research in the field of photonic or astronomical instrumentation as evidenced by publications in peer-reviewed journals and Conferences
- Evidence of experience that is relevant to space and astronomical instrumentation research in some or all of the following areas: space instrumentation, optical design, interferometric beam combination including optical fiber systems, mechanical design, electronic design and real-time or low-level software design
- An ability and commitment to contribute to bids for competitive external funding to support individual and collaborative research activities
- Evidence of an ability and willingness to teach at all levels
- The ability to assist in the supervision of students working on research projects
- The ability to work as part of a team and to meet deadline
- Excellent oral and written English language skills and a demonstrated ability to communicate and interact effectively with avariety of staff and students in a cross-disciplinary academic environment and to foster respectful and productive workingrelationships with staff, students and colleagues at all levels
- A demonstrated understanding of equal opportunity principles and policies and a commitment to their application in auniversity context.
To apply for Postdoctoral Fellow in Astronomy and Astrophysics, an applicant must submit following documents with application:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) which includes the names and contact details of at least three referees (preferably including a current or previous supervisor)
- If your CV does not include referees you can complete these online when prompted in the application form
- Other documents, if required