The Outstanding International Student (OIS) Award is a one-time, merit-based entrance scholarship awarded to qualified students when they are offered admission to UBC. Students selected for this award show strength academically and display involvement outside of the classroom.
UBC recognizes the academic achievement of outstanding students from around the world by devoting more than $30 million annually to awards, scholarships, and other forms of financial support for international undergraduate students.
When you receive an award or scholarship, you join a community of engaged and supportive young leaders who enrich UBC with their diverse perspectives, involvement, and innovation.
While studying at a global top 40 university, and North America’s most international university, you’ll have the chance to grow, connect, research, and innovate.
UBC offers a wide range of opportunities inside and outside the classroom – from co-ops and undergraduate research to clubs and study abroad – to round out your degree and help you contribute to the university’s thriving community.
To be eligible for an Outstanding International Student Award, applicant must:
- Be new to UBC, entering directly from secondary school or post-secondary (university or college).
- Be an international student studying at UBC on a Canadian study permit (student visa). (Changes to your citizenship status will affect your scholarship eligibility.)
- Demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and strong extracurricular involvement.
- Not be nominated for a need-and-merit-based International Scholars award.
- Apply to UBC by January 15.
If you apply to UBC by January 15, you will be automatically considered for the Outstanding International Student Award.
You will be considered for Outstanding International Student Award shortly after you receive an offer of admission to UBC. Scholarship decisions are made between mid-March to the end of April each year.